Mervat Mohamed Mohamed Ahmed El-Far
Senior Research Scientist
B.Sc. (1989) Department of Horticulture, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Cairo, Egypt
M.Sc. (1995) Department of Horticulture, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Cairo, Egypt.
Title of thesis Propagation and regeneration of some potato cultivars through tissue
Ph.D. (2002) Department of Plant Physiology Faculty of Agriculture, University of Cairo, Egypt.
Title of thesis physiological studieson genetically modified potato plant resistant to potato
1989-1991 Research assistant at the Agriculture Development System Project (ADSP)
Ministry of Agriculture and Land Reclamation (Egypt).
1991-1995 Research assistant at the Agricultural Genetic Engineering
Research Institute (AGERI) Agricultural Research Centre (ARC), Egypt.
1995-2002 Assistant researcher, AGERI, ARC, Egypt.
1998-1999 Ph.D. student, Department of Yield Physiology, Max-Planck Institute for
Breading Research, Cologne, Germany.
2002-2009 Research Scientist, AGERI, ARC, Egypt
2009-till recent Senior Research Scientist, AGERI, ARC, Egypt.
Ph.D. program for foreign students Max-Planck-Institute for Breading
Research, Department of Plant Breeding and Yield Physiology Cologne, Germany, 1st - 01-1998 till 15th -10-1999.
DAAD study and research fellowship at Biodiversity and Climat Research Center
BIK-F, Frankfurt am Main,Germany. 1st-10-till 30th-12-2013.
- Max-Planck-Institute for Breading Research, Department of Plant Breeding and Yield Physiology Cologne, Germany, 1st - 01-1998 till 15th -10-1999.
- Justus Liebig University, Institute of General Botany and Plant Physiology, Department of Plant Physiology, Giessen, Germany. 1st of October, 2004 to 30th of March, 2005.
- Justus Liebig University, Institute of Phytopathology and Applied Zoology, Department of Plant Phytopathology, Giessen, Germany. 22nd -09-2010 to 21st -12-2010.
- Justus Liebig University, Institute of Plant Ecology, Giessen, Germany.2011-recent.
- Biodiversity and Climate Research Center-BIK-F, Frankfurt am Main, Germany from 1st of October till 30th of December 2013.
Research Activities and Research Projects:
My research focused on improving the sweetpotato crop through introducing resistance against plant
viruses and developing plant virus diagnostic tools. Also, Identifying the correlation between abiotic
stresses and polyamine production in sweetpotato that leads to better understanding of the
cellular plant adjustment to stress.
List of Publications:
- Geissler N, Hussin S, El-Far MMM, Koyro HW.(2015). Elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration leads to different salt resistance mechanisms in a C3 (Chenopodium quinoa) and a C4 (Atriplex nummularia) halophyte. Environmental and Experimental Botany,118:67-77.
- El Far MMM, Koyro HW. (2014). Differences in chilling tolerance among genotypes of sweetpotato (Ipomoea batatas (L.) Lam.). Arab Journal of Biotechnology, 17: 155-166.
- El-Far MMM, Taie HAA. (2009).Antioxidant Activities, Total Anthocyanins, Phenolics and Flavonoids Contents of Some Sweetpotato Genotypes under Stress of Different Concentrations of Sucrose and Sorbitol. Australian Journal of basic and applied science, 3: 3609-3616.
- El-Far MMM, El Mangoury K, Elazab HEM. (2009). Novel Plant Regeneration for Egyptian Sweetpotato (Ipomoea batatas (L.) Lam.) Abees Cultivar Via Indirect Organogenesis Stimulated by Initiation Medium and Cytokinin Effects. Australian Journal of basic and applied science, 3: 543-551.
- El-Far MMM, Ashoub A. (2009). Utility of Thermotherapy and Meristem Tip for Freeing Sweetpotato from Viral Infection. Australian Journal of basic and applied science, 3: 153-159.
- Ashoub A, El-Far MMM, Salama MI. (2009). Eexpression of Sweet Potato Feathery Mottle Virus Coat Protein and Production of Specific Antiserum for Diagnostic Aspects. Egyptian journal of Genetics and Cytology, 38:119-126.
- EL-Bastawesy AM, Hareedy LA, EL-Far MMM. (2008). Chemical and technological evaluation of some sweetpotato varities. Arab Universities Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 16:87-96.
- Ashoub A, El-Far MMM. (2008). Sequence analysis of coat protein gene and 3` non coding region of sweet potato feathery mottle virus (SPFMV) isolated from Egypt.Egyptian journal of Genetics and Cytology, 37:17-24.
- Ashoub A, El-Far MMM, Prüfer D, Nasr El-Din T. (2008).Comparison of Methods to Detect Sweet PotatoFeathery Mottle Virus (SPFMV) In Sweet Potatoes.Egyptian journal of Genetics and Cytology, 37:25-33.
- El-Far MMM. (2007). Optimization of growth conditions during sweetpotato micro-propagation. 7th triennial African Potato Association (APA) Conference, Alexandria, Egypt, 7:204-211.
- Nesiem MRA, El-Ghamrawy NK, Nasr Eldeen TM, El-Far MMM. (2002). Transformation of three potato cultivars with wild type movement protein gene or its modified form of the potato leafroll virus. Recent Technologies in Agriculture, Proceedings of the 2nd Congress, Cairo University, Faculty, Agriculture.
- Nesiem MRA, El-Ghamrawy NK, Nasr Eldeen TM, El-Far MMM. (2002). Expression of the potato leafroll virus movement protein gene in transgenic potato plants and its effect on alteration of dry matter partitioning and carbohydrate. Recent Technologies in Agriculture, Proceedings of the 2nd Congress, Cairo University, Faculty, Agriculture.
- Alphonse M, Badawi MA, Nasr Eldeen TM, EL-Far MMM. (1999) Morphological, Cytological and Biochemical Variations of Regenerated Potato Cultivars from Various Types of in vitro cultures. Egyptian Journal of Horticulture 26:303-322.
- Alphonse M, Badawi MA, Nasr Eldeen TM, El-FarMMM. (1998). Factors Affecting Regeneration Ability of Potato Plants in vitro. Egyptian Journal of Horticulture 25:129-144.
- Ibrahim IA, Arafa AMS, El-Far MMM. (1994). In vitro propagation of Platycerium bifurcatum. The First Conference of Ornamental Horticulture, Cairo, Egypt, 1:11.
- Ornamental plants, propagation, adaptation and garden arrangements. 1st of March - 30th of September 1989. Faculty of Agriculture, Horticulture department Cairo University, Egypt.
- Tissue Culture Techniques. 18th of May -29th of May 1991. Ministry of Agriculture and Land Reclamation, Giza, Egypt.
- Microinjection in Plant cell. 1st of October 2004 - 30th of March 2005. Institute of General Botany and Plant Physiology, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Germany.
- Certificate Program 2010 covering the area of Communication in Teams, Basics of Management and Leadership, Time Management and Planning, Strategic Management, Conflict Management and Negotiation, Finance for Non-Financials. 13th of March - 11th of May 2010. DAAD, Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst German Academic Exchange Service, Cairo, Egypt.
- LI-6400XT covering the area of Fundamentals of making gas exchange measurements, Controlling environmental conditions, Data logging, data transfer, and re-computing, Making survey measurements and response curves, Chlorophyll fluorescence measurements, Maintenance and Calibration, Software configurations. 18th to 20th of February, 2014. Biosciences GmbH, Bad Homburg, Germany.