Dr. Roba Medhat Ismail
Title: Associated Prof. GTL, AGERI, ARC
Contact information: Tel, Cell, Fax
Doctor of Philosophy in Agricultural Sciences (Ph.D.), from theDepartment of Genetics, Faculty of Agriculture, Ain Shams University, May 2003. The title of the Thesis is “Molecular Genetic Studies in Banana and Possibilities of genetically engineering its Plants., Master of Science in Agriculture (M.Sc.), from the Department of Genetics, Faculty of Agriculture, Ain Shams University, 1999. The title of the Thesis is “Genetic Engineering Studies in Some Plants”, Diploma in Crop Science, University of Damascus in 1991, B.Sc. in Agricultural Sciences, General Agricultural Production, Faculty of Agriculture, Damascus University in 1988, Fulfillment of B.Sc. in Agric. Sci. (Genetics), Faculty of Agriculture, Ain Shams University.
AREA OF SPECIALIZATION:
Tissue culture, Transformation and Molecular genetics.
CAREER AND EMPLOYMENT HISTORY:
- Demonstrator researcher in Food Processing department, Faculty of Agriculture, Damascus University in (1989-1990).
- .Assistant Researcher in Gene transfer lab. (GTL), Agricultural Genetic Engineering Research Institute (AGERI), Agricultural Research Center (ARC) (1994-1999).
- Researcher assistant in GTL, AGERI, ARC (1999-July 2003).
- Researcher in GTL, AGERI, ARC (July 2003-2013)
- Associated Prof. in GTL, AGERI, ARC (May 2013-now).
The TOEFL certificate from ain shams university (Center for Developing English Language Teaching, CDELT)
The ICDL skills from ENAL center
Research Activities and Research Projects:
1- Plant Tissue Culture and Development of Regeneration Protocols
• Faba beanusing mature embryo, shoot apex and cotoledenary nod explants
• Canola using hypocotyls explant
• Micropropagation system in banana plant
• Sugar cane regeneration protocol via direct and indirect technique
• Direct and indirect regeneration system for Sugar beet plant
• Regeneration and micro propagation of grapevine vinefera using shoot tips explants.
•Synthetic seeds production from sugar beet plants using shoot tip, inter-node and adventitious shoots. as an explants
2- Plant Transformation and Development of Transformation Protocols
• Establishment of transformation system of faba bean via Agrobacteruim and shot gun techniques
•Establishment a good system for meristem isolation of banana and detection of BBTV and Banana-CMV via PCR.
• Establishment of transformation system of Banana via Microprojectile bombardment using GUS and bar genes, BBTV-Coat protein genes.
• Produce banana plants contain BBTV-Coat protein and rep, CMV-coat protein genes.
• Produce banana plants contain the hepatitis gene to have edible vaccine banana plants.
• Establishment of transformation system of sugarcane cultivar GT54-9 (C9)
• Produce sugar cane plants contain the cryIA(b) gene which confers resistance to major pests
3- Molecular Techniques
• Plant and bacterial DNA isolation and purification.
• Polymerase chain reaction (PCR), designing primers
• Bacterial Transformation
• Screening of transformed colonies with gene of interesting
• Gene isolation using specific primers
• DNA digestion using restriction enzyme
* Production of transgenic banana plants resistant to some banana virus, under the program of the National Strategy for Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering ASRT.
* Herbicide tolerant faba bean to control boomrape (Orobanche CrenatA) and other weeds, under the program of the National Strategy for Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering @SRT.
* Enhance salinity tolerance in oilproducing plant canola, (Brassica napus) by increasing mannitol production, under the program of the joint (Egyptian/American) project, and I am the Principle Investigator (PI) of this project,
* Development of Initial Marker Assisted Selection System for Net Blotch Resistance in Barley under the program of the Science and Technology Development Fund (STDF) Contract No. 2159, (2011 – 2013).
Attia, A.O., Roba M. Ismail, Eman M. Fahmy and A.S. Sadik (2009). Establishment of regeneration and transformation systems of the cultivar 'M9681' of sugar beet (Beta Vulgaris L.). Pakistan J. Biotechnol., Vol. 6 (1-2) 39-47.
Roba M. Ismail;F.M. El-Domyati; E.E. Wagih; A.S. Sadik and A.Z.E. Abdelsalam (2011). Construction of banana bunchy top nanovirus-DNA-3 encoding the coat protein gene and its introducing into banana plants cv. Williams. , vol. 9: 35-41
Dessoky, S. E.; Roba M. Ismail, A. A. Abdel-hadi and Naglaa Abdallah (2011). Establishment of regeneration and transformation system of sugarcane cultivar GT54-9 (C9). GM Crops 2-2, 126-134.
Roba M. Ismail, Heba E.M. Elazab, Gihan M.H. Hussein and E. A. Metry (2011). In vitro root induction of faba bean (Vicia faba L.). GM Crops 2:3, 176-181.
Diab., A. A., S. M. Khaliland R. M. Ismail. (2011) Regeneration and Micropropagation of Grapvine (Vitis Vinifffera L) though shoot tips and axillary buds. International J. of Advanced Biotechnol. and Research, 2: 484-491
Roba M. Ismail (2012). Establishment of regeneration and transformation protocols for two genotypes of Brassica napus. Egypt. J. Genet. Cytol., 41: 163-180
Roba M. Ismail (2013). Evaluation of Genetically Modified Sugarcane Lines Carrying Cry1AC gene Using Molecular Marker techniques. GM Crops and Food: Biotechnology in Agriculture and the Food Chain 4:(1), 1-9
Nahla A. El-Sherif, Roba M. Ismail and Lamiaa F. El-Gaied (2013). Effects of Ultraviolet Radiation on Cytological and Molecular Aspects of Tomato. . Egypt. J. Genet. Cytol 42: 103-126
Lab members: Theses under my supervision:
|Name of Candidates||
|Attia Omar Attia Abdalla||Molecular genetics and viral studies on sugar beet||Ain shams University, 2010|
|El-Dessoky Salman Dessoky||Transformation of Sugarcane Plant with insect Resistance Gene||
Cairo University, 2012
|Abo Bakr Alsedik Ahmed Ali||Biotechnological Studies on Sugar beet (Beta Vulgaris)||Cairo University, 2012|
|Mai Ahmed Thabet Farag||Improving Drought Stress Tolerance in Sugarcane via gene transfer technology||Cairo University, 2013|
|Wessam M. Raslan||Biotechnology studies on sugar beet||Cairo University, 2015|
Additional Notes: Teaching and training activities
Teaching course at Faculty of Agriculture, Damascus University in the field of Crop breading (1990-1994).
Training course at ICARDA, Syria, in the field of “DNA Molecular Marker Techniques” organized by International Center for Agricultural Research in the dry Areas (ICARDA), Aleppo, Syria (19 -30 September 1993).
Teaching course at AGERI, Giza, for an Eritearian student, in the field of tissue culture and establishment of regeneration system in banana plants using shoot tip explants and micropropagation, subculturing of micropropagated banana, multiplication and rooting, acclimatization and ELISA techniques on banana for virus detection, (30-Jan. to 23 Feb., 2006).
Teaching in a training course on molecular marker and transformation techniques (5-16 August 2007) at AGERI, ARC, Egypt
Training cosre at Agricultural Research Center (ARC), Giza, Egypt, in the field of "Scientific Writing" organized by Crop Research Institute, 16-23 March 2008.
Teaching course at AGERI, Giza on "Plant Tissue Culture and Transformation Techniques" organized by MUCIA, Feb., 2008, held at AGERI. ARC.
Training Course On Biotechnological Techniques at AGERI, Egypt, organized by AGERI for under graduate student from different college, hold on (18- 29July/2010), in this course I teach the practical part of plant transformation using Agrobacterium-mediated transformation.
A session in the use of means of GM crops to increase productivity-resist climatic conditions (temperature-drought-salinity). In the period from 24/11 -3/12/2010. I present a lecture entitled: "breeding and biotechnological approaches to attain have been abducted to biotic stress".
Training Course at AGERI, Egypt, On "Biotechnology applications in crop improvement" organized by ICARDA, jiCA, ARC and AGERI, hold on 16 - 27 September, 2012 in this course I teach the practical part of faba bean plant transformation using Agrobacterium-mediated transformation.
Training Course at AGERI, Egypt, On "Detection of Genetically Modified Organisms" organized by AOAD, ARC and AGERI, hold on 2-12 December, 2012 in this course I teach the practical part of plant transformation using Agrobacterium-mediated transformation.